Democracy Rising

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" ~ President John F. Kennedy

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Ukrainian Government Sacked

Despite a deal which saved Ukraine from financial ruin, the national parliament has passed a no-confidence motion in the government of Yuri Yekhanurov.

I'm not sure exactly what ex-PM Tymoshenko is hoping to achieve by launching such a motion. The majority of Ukrainians appeared fairly happy about the cabinets response to the gas crisis. Yulia is making herself look increasingly bitter and power-hungry. Such government sackings, which have dogged Ukrainian politics for the past 15 years, do nothing for economic growth or improving the prosperity of ordinary citizens. It should be interesting to see if Tymoshenko's popularity ratings fall after this foolish performance.

Reuters News has more

2 Comments:

  • At 5:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matt, do you have email?

     
  • At 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matt,

    Hi! My name is Mary Joyce and I was really glad to find you blog. Like you, I also have a global democracy blog (DemoBlog). We have different approaches though: I re-post blog entries from bloggers from around the world rather that posting my own interpretations, as you do. I read over some of you past posts and your analysis is excellent. Since we are both committed to publicizing and furthering the cause of democracy in the world, I think we should find a way to work together. Please e-mail me at mail@demologue.com and feel free to check out my blog, which is linked to my username above. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Best, Mary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home